To this day, the town of Piran has preserved its medieval character as a clustered town fabric, surrounded by a town wall. The oldest part of the town is Punta, and on the slope behind it there is a fort dating back to the 10th century where townspeople could retreat in times of danger.
In the following centuries the town was able to gradually expand only in the direction of dry land as the whole peninsula was already built up. The town consisted of four town quarters: Miljska, Stolnična, Misana and Grad, which were from early on surrounded by a wall. The oldest wall was preserved by the seaside, whereas the part of the wall facing land gradually moved as the town grew. At the end of the 13th century, when Piran came under Venetian ruling, the town started to gradually grow and develop. It was, therefore, eventually surrounded by a new wall, which included the town quarter of Campo, the part of which was also an inner dock still outside the town wall.
In the period of Venetian ruling, which lasted almost half a millennium, the state also took care of the maintenance of the town wall and town gate. The newest part of the wall with fortified towers in the southeast part of the town dates back to the period from 1470 to 1533 and is positioned on the slope of the hill. It was built in the period when there was a large threat of Turkish invasions. With this wall the area by the sea called Marciana became part of the town. The wall encloses the whole part of the town, facing dry land between the northern and southern seacoast.
The almost fully-preserved wall used to have three town gates; the highest was the gate of St. Nicholas with a smaller gate Pusterla, which is no longer preserved, while the gate of Rašpor and the gate of Marciana in the lower part of the town have been preserved to this day. The powerful and magnificently built wall is completed with seven preserved fortified towers with ghibelline merlons on top. Especially interesting is their placement; on the outside they look like a magnificent fort while on the inside they do not have a finishing side, so that the wooden landings with stairs are visible.
Maintenance and restoration of the walls were always responsibility of the town and the state. The part of the wall facing inland, with fortification towers and double town gates, needed many thorough restoration and presentation works (1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s and from 2002 to 2008) to enable suitable access and safe sightseeing for visitors.